Skip to main content

Things I wish I understood before getting married


A recent discussion with my friend about marriage inspired me to write
this post. Based on some of my previous blog posts, I'm sure you may be wondering how it was like to get married after dating for a year. well, that may be discussed later.

We have been married for almost two years and by God's grace, I can say that marriage is a blessing. No matter what we are faced with, at the end of the day we are happy we have each other. I'm truly blessed to be married to my husband :) 

Before we got married, we attended the marriage counseling session organized in my church, got some advice from friends and families and discussed how we want our marriage to be.

However, there's definitely something different about experiencing what you've heard & planned. Somethings I knew about but didn't quite understand before getting married are:

1. There’s no perfect marriage:
Everyone is unique so is every marriage. You can only learn things that can improve your marriage.

2. It will be emotional in the beginning: 
Leaving my family, changing my last name and so on. I was happy to have my husband's last name but I had to deal with an identity change. (I don't deal with changes easily).

3. Communication is important:
Communication doesn't end when you get married. Lack of communication could lead to avoidable issues and assumptions. It’s important to understand each other and communicate any misunderstandings effectively.

4. Let go of unnecessary expectations: 
It’s ok to express what you expect or desire politely but when those expectations aren’t met, don’t dwell on it. 

5. The wedding day:
This is just for a day but marriage is forever. Plan more for a 'successful' marriage than just the wedding day (I truly hope you understand this point).

6. Pray without ceasing: 
Prayer is absolutely the master key. Now we have a bigger family, there are more people to pray for as well as more things to pray about (especially for wisdom). 

7. Living with someone is different from visiting them: 
Life as a newlywed is different from dating. This phase requires patience, understanding, communication, and effective conflict management.

8. Enjoy each moment: 
Every day is a present from God, how you choose to spend it is totally up to you.

9. Forgiveness:
Holding on to the past will lead to hurt and unhappiness.

10. Don’t give up on your personal goals: 
Try to have personal goals and family goals, encourage each other to accomplish your goals. 

11. Rely on God for everything: 
There’s nothing God can’t do, He will provide all you need and the HolySpirit will teach you how to grow together in unity.

12. We keep learning every day: 
Each day comes with new experiences that give us the opportunity to learn about each other. 

(Disclaimer: I am not a marriage counselor, I just enjoy sharing my experiences and what I learn from them. I also love learning from people's experiences).

So over to you, I’d like to know what you wish you understood before getting married.

Comments

  1. Quelle maturité?
    Vraiment je m'en veux de n'avoir pas u tous ces conseils avant mon mariage.(19 ans) malgré l'espérance vécu,sa m'a pris beaucoup de temps pour comprendre certaines réalités du couple
    Actuellement je suis prêt pour conseiller mes enfants à leur tour
    Beaucoup de prière sa aide
    Merci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marriage between two people whose hearts beat together; their minds work together, their plans are the same, and their objectives are the same. That’s cooperation, and that’s how marriage should work.

      But the normal kind of relationship between two or more people today is competitive, not cooperative. One partner has an idea gon how something should go, and the other partner has their idea on how it should go. Does that sound familiar? Abdul from gwas

      Delete
    2. @ Faruq, I am so happy to read your comment! It has been a while, hope you are doing good?
      Your comment is so true!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stylish Ghana braids you need to see

We all can agree that Ghana braids have been stylish since time immemorial; therefore, it is best to always watch out for the latest braids to keep up with the trend. For my lovely blog readers to always be aware of the latest hair fashion, I make sure the styles on each post are trendy except otherwise stated. Enjoy these modern Ghana weaving. Announcement!! We have moved to another website :) Kindly visit the new lifestyle blog  www.gracefulifestyle.com

More complex Ghana weaving styles

Ghana weaving is not just restricted to the basic form of cornrow styles. This post has more complex Ghana weaving styles that you will not regret getting. Announcement!! We have moved to another website :) Kindly visit the new lifestyle blog  www.gracefulifestyle.com

2018 Cool Braids

How much do you like these? I love them. By the way, I cant wait to show you all my braids. It is so