Skip to main content

The act of mindfulness (getting over baby blues)



Pause, take a deep breathe, feel the moment, this very moment, not the seconds that have past but this very moment!

These were the words I constantly repeated to myself whenever I was overwhelmed
or felt like the world was closing in on me. Don't get me wrong, the joy I felt and still feel as a mom is unexplainable and unimaginable, however, there were times I felt confused, frustrated and exhausted. In one of such stressful moments I realized I haven’t just given birth to my beautiful baby boy but I have also given birth to a new me yet to be understood. I spoke to someone about how I felt who told me it is normal to feel this way and could be the signs of baby blues. This ignited the quest to overcome my constant (and quite unnecessary as I would refer to it) mood swings. What my research led me to was the act of mindfulness. My first thought about it was ‘I can’t even control how I’m spiraling, how can I be mindful’ but I read more on the act of mindfulness and I must confess, that was the best decision I made. I decided to be mindful about how I feel, what I allow my brain process and how I react by;

Speaking out: almost all the moms (especially first time moms) I spoke made me understand that it’s perfectly normal to feel a certain way after childbirth. They encouraged me based on their experience and also advised me to seek professional help if need be. 

Enjoying the present: this meant spending quality time with my bundle of joy because you know they grow so fast. I began enjoying every single moment I spent with him.

Giving myself time to heal: the healing process wasn’t easy and fast but I knew it will definitely get better with time.

Knowing I’m not alone: going through this phase with my husband and loved ones means a lot to me, their constant encouragement and support makes the road to recovery and rediscovering my new life easier. 

Doing what I love: I decided to work from home for some companies as a content writer during my pregnancy. Now I have given birth, it is one of the easiest jobs to take on while tending to my little one.

As humans, we tend to get disoriented and distressed about what we may not have the ability to control which makes us forget to realize and enjoy what we can control/ what we have.  The act of mindfulness has, to a large extent, enhanced my wellbeing, bonding time with my beautiful son as well as given me a whole lot of different ideas for my career. Though practicing mindfulness is a process, I appreciate every effort I put into controlling what I can and concentrate on the present.

To the moms out there, I must say, you are all AMAZING!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stylish Ghana braids you need to see

We all can agree that Ghana braids have been stylish since time immemorial; therefore, it is best to always watch out for the latest braids to keep up with the trend. For my lovely blog readers to always be aware of the latest hair fashion, I make sure the styles on each post are trendy except otherwise stated. Enjoy these modern Ghana weaving. Announcement!! We have moved to another website :) Kindly visit the new lifestyle blog  www.gracefulifestyle.com

More complex Ghana weaving styles

Ghana weaving is not just restricted to the basic form of cornrow styles. This post has more complex Ghana weaving styles that you will not regret getting. Announcement!! We have moved to another website :) Kindly visit the new lifestyle blog  www.gracefulifestyle.com

2018 Cool Braids

How much do you like these? I love them. By the way, I cant wait to show you all my braids. It is so