Skip to main content

Graduate Denied Opporuntiy To Walk Because Of Hair Color

GALLATIN, Tenn. - You don't have to be around Joslyn Barahona long to know teal is one of her favorite colors. As an aspiring marine biologist it's fitting for her, but teal is one of a few hair colors she's sported in the past.
"Changed it so many times. It's just, it's addicting," she laughed. 
Joslyn can smile about it now, but Friday was a much different story. It was graduation day at Gallatin High School. 
"I was looking forward to it because I wanted to walk with my class even though I finished in December," she said.
Joslyn has been preparing to transfer to a university and has been taking classes at Vol State since she graduated early.
"That's why I changed my hair funky because I finished high school," said Joslyn. 
It wasn't until the graduation rehearsal she learned her hair color was a problem.
"I looked at the seating chart, saw where I was supposed to sit, went to go sit down, and then one teacher came up to me while I was talking to my friends and said, 'You're going to have to change your hair between now and 7 o'clock,'" explained Joslyn. 
The Gallatin High School Student Handbook does say extreme hair color which "deviates from the norm is not permissible," a rule Joslyn knew about.  
"I did, but with me coming back for that one day, I didn't know it was going to be a big issue," she said. 
Joslyn also sported her teal locks at prom, it wasn't an issue then either. In the end she made
the decision to keep her hair the way it was, and she was not allowed to walk across the stage.
"It would've been a really great feeling, makes me sad," she said. 
Looking back, she said she wouldn't change her mind.
"I don't think it was a mistake because I was standing up for myself and what I believe in. My hair, I didn't want to change it because I didn't want to change what I do and what I like. I just say stand up for yourself," Joslyn said.
source: newschannel5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stylish Ghana braids you need to see

We all can agree that Ghana braids have been stylish since time immemorial; therefore, it is best to always watch out for the latest braids to keep up with the trend. For my lovely blog readers to always be aware of the latest hair fashion, I make sure the styles on each post are trendy except otherwise stated. Enjoy these modern Ghana weaving. Announcement!! We have moved to another website :) Kindly visit the new lifestyle blog  www.gracefulifestyle.com

More complex Ghana weaving styles

Ghana weaving is not just restricted to the basic form of cornrow styles. This post has more complex Ghana weaving styles that you will not regret getting. Announcement!! We have moved to another website :) Kindly visit the new lifestyle blog  www.gracefulifestyle.com

2018 Cool Braids

How much do you like these? I love them. By the way, I cant wait to show you all my braids. It is so